TI-501 Justice System Trauma: Correctional Facility Support Worker Certificate (CFSW) Coming Soon
Who Benefits from Participation?
- Justice system administrators, management, and support staff
- All Correctional Facility Workers as well as support staff who work within the Justice system
- Mental & health care professionals.
- This course is an entry-level course and not limited to mental health professionals. No special requirements or degrees are necessary for this non-counselling training stream.
What Is Justice System Trauma Training?
Correctional facilities are challenging places to work. With up to 70% +/- of the inmate population having experienced a trauma first-hand, trauma informed care skills training is essential. Working with trauma survivors in high-stress/high-demand situations can lead to extreme reactions where fight or flight triggers lead to dangerous incidents.
Recognizing the impact of trauma in the corrections system is a powerful tool.
The purpose of this program is to provide an enhanced ability to manage correctional facility job stressors, harness our best skills when working with potentially traumatized incarcerated populations, build a toolkit of CFSW approaches in the JST Certificate stream and understand how to manage our own reactions and warning signs.
The chief learning objective is to expand upon the professional’s existing knowledge and expertise in Correctional Facility Support Work while learning about the target service provision group, gain job enhancement skills, and manage personal reactions in the high-demand field of corrections.
In this course we cover job mandate; training needs; job stressors; front line fatigue/compassion fatigue; identifying key features of those we serve; hazards of correctional facilities service work; enhancing skills in correctional facilities service work; face-to-face duties; de-escalating difficult interactions; communication strategies; resident approach strategies; community & workplace evaluation; coping with difficult outcomes; follow-up strategies; prevention & resiliency skills and a brief look at supervision strategies.
- Recognize the mandate of working with a traumatized resident.
- Learn what it takes to prepare for the responsibility of care for residents.
- Although this is not therapy– Correction Facilities Service Workers are in a frontline service role and will be exposed to challenging interactions with residents.
- Illustrate the experience of Front Line Fatigue (aka. similarities between this and Compassion Fatigue/PTSD).
- Recognize job stressors: early warning signs and the impact on the body.
- Learn Frontline Fatigue Prevention & Resiliency strategies.
- Understand residents: Who are they and what will you be facing? Know your target audience.
- Learn to work with residents with PTSD or other mental health struggles.
- Recognize warning signs for residents at risk.
- Learn how symptoms help us understand what services to offer the resident.
- Develop practical skills for enhancing correction facilities service work.
- Learn what it takes to be a skilled correction facilities service worker.
- Handle face-to-face duties with care.
- De-escalate a difficult resident contact.
- Learn strategies for enhancing communication.
- Learn skilled interventions for approaching residents.
- Learn how to follow-up with residents and protocols to consider.
- Learn how to work with special populations and casework.
- Become familiar with the TI Community & Workplace Evaluation Kit.
- Use the Community Resource Template.
- Achieve a basic understanding of supervision strategies.
- In-depth narrated interactive course presentation
- Downloadable student manual for your personal and workplace use
- Final quiz requiring a passing grade of 80%
- Estimated course time: 14 hours
- Certificate of completion
- 160 day access (extendable within 12 months)
- Required Course Readings – Justice System Trauma: Correctional Facility Support Worker (Manual for TI-501)
- Continuing education credit if available*
Course Price: $139 CAD plus applicable taxes.
Your online trauma classes have been my absolute favorite continuing education classes due to the organized and condensed format of the material, accessibility from home, affordable price, and exhaustive lists of therapeutic techniques. – Lisa Compton, LCSW, Midlothian, USA
Our Dedication to Your Success
We’re dedicated to your success. If you are not satisfied with our courses, we will give you a full refund within 10 days of your purchase.